Green Bean Bacon Casserole
What you'll need:
1 lb Fresh Green Beans
8 oz Roughly Chopped Mushrooms
4 oz Bacon (about 5 large strips)
1 cup Thinly Sliced Yellow Onions
1/2 cup Finely Chopped Shallots
3 Cloves Garlic Minced
½ cup Almond Meal
1.5 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
3 tsp Sea Salt
2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Drizzle 1 Tbl EVOO on the thinly sliced yellow onions and sprinkle with 1 tsp sea salt. Massage the EVOO and salt evenly into the onions with your hands, and spread the onions out on the baking sheet evenly.
3. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F, removing from the oven and stirring/flipping every 10 minutes. You’re looking for a brown/crispy texture. [Note: cook for an additional 5+ minutes if they aren’t crispy enough].
4. Put a large pot of water and salt on high heat and bring to a boil. Roughly chop the bacon and add to a sauté pan on high heat. Lightly crisp the bacon then add the chopped shallots.
5. Once the shallots are slightly clear, add the minced garlic. After a few minutes, add the mushrooms and continue to stir on medium/high heat.
6. Cut the green beans into half and add to the water when it starts boiling. Boil for 5 minutes then remove from the water and place in a bowl.
7. When the mushrooms have cooked down and have a golden color, remove the entire bacon/scallion/garlic/mushroom mixture and place aside in a separate bowl.
8. With the heat on medium/low, add 1 Tbl EVOO and 1 cup of the almond milk to sauté pan and stir with a metal whisk. Add half of the almond meal and whisk until it dissolves.
9. Carefully add the rest of the almond milk and almond meal, whisking the mixture together over a medium simmer. Add 2 tsp sea salt and the 2 tsp pepper. Whisk until the gravy thickens slightly to the texture of heavy cream.
10. Reduce the heat and add the bacon/mushroom mixture then stir. Add the green beans to the sauté pan and stir. Pour the entire mixture into a medium-sized casserole dish.
11. Cover with aluminum foil & the lid (if you have one) and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes, then remove the foil/lid and sprinkle the dried onions evenly on top. Place back in oven for 5 minutes at 350F uncovered. Enjoy!
Wild Turkey Breast with Bacon
What you'll need:
12 oz. bacon, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
Cajun poultry seasoning, as needed
4 tablespoons pasture butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 (2-pound) boneless turkey breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon coconut aminos (optional) - or a soy sauce
1. In a large cast iron skillet add bacon and top with Cajun seasoning. Fry until crisp, then drain, and discard grease and set aside.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and chopped onion to the skillet. Sauté onion until tender. Then remove onion and set aside.
3. In a bowl, combine the turkey breast, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, coconut aminos and seasoning.
4. In the skillet, heat remaining butter and coconut oil until sizzling. Add turkey, cooked bacon, and onion.
5. Cook on medium-high until turkey is brown and tender (around 15 minutes).